Cedars-Sinai Team HEAL is a school-based program supporting student-athletes in underserved communities and empowering them to pursue sports safely. Student-athletes are more prone to sprains, strains and serious injuries such as concussions. With an emphasis on injury prevention and top-notch medical care, Team HEAL aims to provide underserved high school athletes with needed resources to fill that gap and counter lags in public school athletic budgets. At the heart of the 25-year-old program is its mission of Helping Enrich Athletes' Lives (HEAL).
Team HEAL Services
Team HEAL is focused on preventing sports injuries and concussions through education, training and care. Also designed to foster life skills and prepare young people for the future, we offer mentorship, academic support, college scholarships and career development.
- Full-time certified athletic trainer at each participating school
- Fully equipped athletic training rooms for sports injury rehabilitation and physical conditioning
- Preventive care that teaches youths how to avoid sports injuries and raises awareness of health and nutrition
- Team HEAL doctors and certified athletic trainers treat more than 300 sports-related injuries per year—including sprains, strains, concussions, fractures and overuse injuries such as tendonitis or shin splints.
- On-demand access results in fewer treatment delays and hospitalizations.
- Team HEAL certified athletic trainers empower their student-athletes by increasing their healthcare and sports medicine knowledge.
- Trends in student-athlete injuries (concussions, ankle sprains, muscle strains, fractures, dislocations, etc.) are monitored and studied from one school year to the next.
- Comprehensive preseason sports physicals offered to student-athletes at our partnering schools at no cost to them or their families.
- Previous physicals have included orthopaedic, vision and dental exams, cardiac checkups, concussion tests, internal medicine and follow-up care for identified medical issues.
- More than 5,000 free physicals have been performed since 2003.
- In collaboration with the Los Angeles Unified School District, Team HEAL is located at the following high schools:
- Carson High STEAM School
- Crenshaw High School STEMM Magnet
- Phineas Banning Senior High School
- Susan Miller Dorsey Senior High School
- Westchester Enriched Sciences Magnets
- Team HEAL certified athletic trainers are also certified career and technical education teachers who educate students in the classroom on health and sports medicine subjects.
- Team HEAL (BOC AP#:P3684) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc., to provide continuing education to athletic trainers.
- Team HEAL hosts a variety of educational opportunities including a virtual lecture series that is open to certified athletic trainers as well as other school administrators and staff.