Supportive Care and Survivorship Services
Head and neck cancer treatment can affect the way you look and feel. You may also experience difficulties with once-simple activities such as eating and swallowing. At Cedars-Sinai, our genuine interest in your wellbeing means we continue caring for you long after treatment.
Our supportive care services include swallow therapy and other treatments to help you cope with the side effects of cancer treatment. And our survivorship services help you stay as healthy as possible for years to come.
Our Approach to Supportive Care and Survivor Services
Our whole-person approach to care includes services that support your physical, emotional and spiritual health. And you don't have to wait to get the extra support you deserve. Our team of experts meets regularly to discuss your treatment progress. These frequent discussions allow us to anticipate your needs and coordinate services to meet them.
Highlights of our program include:
Doctors You Can Trust
You receive follow-up care from many of the same doctors who delivered your cancer treatment. If your needs change, our knowledge of your health history ensures that you receive the care you need as quickly as possible. Meet our expert team.
Certain treatments such as radiation therapy can increase your risk of dental problems. We lower this risk with specialized dental care before and after treatment. Our team also includes speech therapists who help people regain their ability to swallow. Find out more about speech therapy and dental care for head and neck cancer.
A Helping Hand
In the months following treatment, you may have regular tests and doctor's visits. Our head and neck cancer patient navigator helps coordinate appointments and answers your questions. We manage the details of your care, so you can focus on getting well.
Head and Neck Cancer Supportive Care
We offer a broad range of supportive care options that includes:
- Dental care: We lower your risk of tooth decay and mouth infections during and after treatment. Our services also help you cope with complications such as dry mouth. You receive care from a world-renowned dentist specializing in head and neck cancer.
- Lymphedema therapy: If you experience abnormal swelling, especially in your head, neck and face, lymphedema therapy can help. We help drain fluid buildups anywhere in the body with massage and other therapies. Find out more about lymphedema.
- Nutrition services: Cancer treatment may make it difficult or impossible to take food by mouth. Our nutritionists help you get the nutrition you need to stay healthy. Your care may include a special diet or a feeding tube. Our years of experience help you overcome challenges so you can get back to your everyday life. Read more about clinical nutrition services.
- Pain management: We help you stay as comfortable as possible during your cancer care journey. Our team helps you manage pain with prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Physical therapy: If pain in other areas of your body is holding you back, we help you get moving again. Physical therapy can help you manage lymphedema. You may also need physical therapy after certain surgical procedures, especially if you stay in bed for long periods of time.
- Speech therapy: Our team includes speech therapists who understand the unique needs of head and neck cancer patients. We help many people regain their ability to swallow so they can avoid a permanent feeding tube. Therapists specializing in voice problems help you strengthen your voice or use new techniques to communicate.
Palliative and Supportive Care for Head and Neck Cancer
We offer a range of services that promote physical, spiritual and emotional healing. These services are available to you at any point in your cancer care journey. Read more about the support services we provide.
Wellness Services for Head and Neck Cancer Survivors
The effects of cancer can impact your physical and emotional health even after you complete treatment. You may feel tired or experience unpleasant emotions such as anxiety. Our survivorship services help you overcome these challenges so you can start feeling more like your old self.
Our offerings include specialized physical therapy and support groups. We also monitor your wellbeing through follow-up appointments with your cancer care team. These appointments extend years beyond your final treatment. Learn more about our wellness, resilience and survivorship programs.