Cedars-Sinai colorectal surgeons offer advanced surgical procedures to treat intestinal conditions, from irritable bowel disease to colorectal cancer. We find the procedure that best fits your life and health, so you can get back to doing the things you love.
What Is Colorectal Surgery?
Colorectal surgery treats problems of the intestines. Your intestines help your body absorb nutrients from food and process waste.
When you have a colorectal condition, it can affect your ability to use the bathroom. Your symptoms may make it difficult or uncomfortable to complete routine tasks and activities. Surgery can help you feel better.
We perform minimally invasive and complex revisional surgeries of the lowest part of the digestive tract. Our team treats both cancerous and noncancerous conditions of the:
- Bowel, the small tubing that connects the stomach to the colon and absorbs nutrients
- Colon, the large tube between the bowel and rectum that stores, processes and removes waste from the body
- Rectum, the pocket at the end of the colon that temporarily holds waste until it's time to empty
- Anus, the sphincter (muscle that opens and closes) at the end of the rectum that allows waste to pass out of the body
Our Approach to Colorectal Surgery
At Cedars-Sinai, we offer:
We are one of the few centers to offer robotic colon and rectal surgery. With these procedures, our surgeons can often preserve more healthy tissue, significantly improving your life after surgery. Robotic-assisted procedures also typically result in less blood loss, lower risk of infection and faster recovery time.
Revision and Reoperative Options
As one of the busiest colorectal centers in Southern California, we offer complex revision surgeries that are not widely available. Our specialized team is highly skilled in treating conditions such as Crohn's disease, diverticulitis and colon and rectal cancer.
We work with several specialists from the hospital, so all the experts you need are in one place. And our team meets regularly to discuss your health, ensuring that everyone is updated on your treatment and care.
Care doesn't stop when you return home. Our team helps you transition back to your healthy life. We offer physical therapy, assistance from a social worker and postoperative checkups to help you smoothly return home.
Colorectal Surgery at Cedars-Sinai
We are experienced in treating every kind of colorectal condition, from the common to the complex. Our surgeons treat colorectal conditions with advanced techniques to get you back to the life you love. We offer:
Partners in Colorectal Care
We work with experts in many fields to develop your treatment plan. Your team may include specialists such as:
- Gastroenterologists, who treat conditions in the esophagus, stomach, appendix and gallbladder
- Interventional radiologists, who use image-guided technology for minimally invasive surgical treatment
- Neurologists, who treat conditions that affect the nerves
- Oncologists, who specialize in diagnosing and treating cancer
- Urologists, who treat diseases in the urinary tract and male reproductive organs
- Gynecologists, who specialize in female reproductive health
- Physical therapists, who help manage conditions with exercise and hands-on care
We also work with specialists from our programs, including: