The Cardiogenetics Program at the Smidt Heart Institute is a comprehensive program for patients and families with a history of genetic heart conditions. Our dedicated expert team provides genetic counseling, personalized care and support to patients and families with hereditary diseases of the heart. Genetic counseling, an essential component of our services, helps patients and their families to understand the physical and emotional implications of having an inherited heart condition.
Through our team’s collaborative focus on the genetics of heart disease, we are at the beginning of unraveling mysteries that have plagued many families.
Sumeet S. Chugh, MD
What We Offer
Our program includes a full-time genetics counselor who has more than a decade of experience with genetic conditions. This counselor assists physicians and their patients in translating complex genetic science into practical, decision-making information to ensure the best patient outcomes and the highest patient satisfaction. The services we offer include:
- Inpatient and outpatient consultation
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Clinical screening and counseling
- Seamless coordinated care with cardiologists and primary care physicians
Our program accepts referrals from outside physicians for patients with suspected conditions. In such cases, our goal is to complement the patient’s existing care with the services our program provides.
What Is a Cardiovascular Genetic Counselor?
A genetic counselor is a healthcare provider with specialized graduate degrees and expertise in medical genetics and counseling. Our cardiovascular genetic counselor:
- Gathers extensive family history information for thorough risk assessment
- Shares comprehensive knowledge of the benefits and limitations of genetic testing, helping families and physicians apply the most current genetic and genomic testing
- Provides interpretation of genetic tests and the disclosure of results
- Facilitates identification and testing of at-risk family members
- Discusses recommended screening, preventive and management options
- Provides psychosocial counseling surrounding issues related to inheritable cardiovascular diseases such as emotional adjustments and decisions about reproductive options and family planning
See more information about hereditary diseases of the heart and the treatments we provide.
Conditions We Treat
We offer comprehensive services such as genetic testing and counseling to patients with history of genetic conditions such as Brugada syndrome, familial hypercholesterolemia and thoracic aortic aneurysm.
Related Programs & Services
Heart conditions require special expertise to monitor and control symptoms. When those heart conditions have a genetic risk, you want to make certain your family is evaluated as well.