CT Brain Special Protocols
Computed tomography special protocols are ordered for specific requirements or surgical planning involving the brain.
- CT of the brain (or spine) with stealth protocol.
Uses a special computer system for image-guided surgeries.
- CT of the brain with Lorenz protocol.
Creates 3-D imaging models for surgical procedures.
- CT of the head with fiducials.
This places markers on the outside of the head to help surgeons accurately orient images to the patient.
- These special procedures are indicated for specific treatment planning. This will be determined by the ordering physician and/or the imaging physician.
- Contrast may be given, depending on the indications. This will be determined by the ordering physician and/or the imaging physician.
- No preparation is required.
- Only one CT contrast study should be scheduled within a 48 hour period.
- BUN and creatinine must be done within 72 hours of the scan.
- Nothing but clear liquid after midnight before the scan.
- NPO four hours prior to exam (no food or drink).