I-123 MIBG Scan
Your doctor has ordered an I-123 MIBG scan. This is an imaging test that uses a radioactive tracer and a special scanner to find or confirm the presence of neuroendocrine tumors (pheochromocytoma, neuroblastoma or paraganglioma).
Before Your Exam
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
During Your Exam
- This exam requires three visits over two days.
- On your first visit, the technologist will explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. You will be given a small dose of SSKI (potassium iodide) orally to protect the thyroid gland and then asked to wait one hour for the thyroid to absorb it.
- One hour after the SSKI was given, you will be given the injection of the I-123 MIBG in a vein in your arm. You will then be free to leave. You will be asked to return in 4 hours for your first scan.
- When you return, you will lie down on a scanning table. The scanner will move over and around your body. The scan will take approximately 60 minutes. You will be asked to return in 24 hours for another scan.
- The second scan (24 hours after the injection) may take a little longer but will not be more than 90 minutes.
After Your Exam
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician specialist and the results sent to your physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request a copy of your report, call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.