Your doctor has requested an ultrasound of your abdomen. Ultrasound is a safe and painless procedure that uses sound waves to "see" inside your body. The scan can help diagnose such medical conditions as abdominal masses, gallbladder disease and gallstones, as well as problems in the liver, kidneys, pancreas or spleen.
At the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have an expert team of physicians, nurses and technologists who are highly trained in ultrasound imaging.
Before Your Exam
- You must not eat or drink for eight hours before your exam. Water and taking medication is okay.
- If ultrasound pelvis is also being done, for female patients, please drink 32 ounces of water one hour before the scan. You can go to the bathroom to relieve yourself, as long as you keep drinking water. Male patients do not need to have a full bladder.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass any time you may have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- You will be asked to change into a gown.
- A diagnostic medical sonographer will explain your exam and answer any questions you may have.
- Your procedure will be performed with you lying flat on your back on the examination table.
- The technologist will apply warm gel to the skin of your abdomen. This gel helps the sound waves to get from the machine into your body. It is similar to hair styling gel.
- A transducer, a small device similar to a microphone, will be placed over various locations on your abdomen.
- Sound waves will bounce off certain organs and tissue in your body. This creates "echoes." The echoes are reflected back to the transducer, which converts them to electronic signals. A computer then processes the signals into pictures and shows them on a television monitor.
- These moving images may be viewed immediately or photographed for further study.
- Your exam will take between 30 and 45 minutes.
After Your Exam
- You may resume your regular diet, unless told otherwise by your doctor.
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician and the results sent to your doctor. Your doctor will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- If you have problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000.
- To request a copy of your images on a CD or film or a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
Directions and Parking
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.