Your doctor has requested an ultrasound of your pelvis. Ultrasound is a safe and painless procedure that uses sound waves to "see" inside your body. A pelvic ultrasound can help determine the cause of pain or bleeding in the reproductive organs. At the Cedars-Sinai S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have a specialized team of physicians, nurses, and technologists who are experts in ultrasound radiology.
Before Your Exam
- Drink 32 ounces (four glasses) of water one hour before your examination time.
- You can go to the bathroom to relieve yourself, as long as you keep drinking water.
- If you are also having an ultrasound abdomen, please do not eat or drink for 8 hours before your exam. Water and medications are okay.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass any time you may have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- Upon arrival, you will be asked to change into a hospital gown.
- Once in the examination room, the diagnostic medical sonographer will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be positioned on your back on the exam table.
- The technologist will apply warm gel to the skin of your lower abdomen. The gel is similar to hair styling gel and helps the sound waves travel from the machine into your abdomen.
- A transducer, a small device similar to a microphone, is placed over the area being examined. This will happen several times. You will feel mild pressure from the transducer and some discomfort from a full bladder.
- The sound waves will bounce off the organs and tissue in your body. This creates "echoes." The echoes are reflected back to the transducer. A television monitor shows images as the transducer converts the echoes to electrical signals.
- These moving images may be viewed immediately, recorded or photographed for further study.
- Routinely, in addition to the regular transabdominal pelvic ultrasound, for women, a transvaginal ultrasound will be performed for further evaluation of your reproductive organs.
- Your exam will take approximately 45 minutes. Your visit will be about 1-1/2 hours.
After Your Exam
- Your study will be reviewed by a imaging physician and the results sent to your doctor. Your doctor will discuss these results with you.
- If you have problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000.
- To request a copy of your images on a CD or film, or for a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
Directions and Parking
For directions and parking information, click this link.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310- 423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.