Bone Density Scan (QDR)
Your doctor has ordered a bone density scan (QDR). The role of this procedure is to diagnose osteoporosis or to be a follow-up for patients who have been treated for osteoporosis. Our team of specialized doctors, nurses and technologists is led by Alessandro D'Agnolo, MD, and Louise E.J. Thomson, MBChB, co-chiefs of Nuclear Medicine.
- Why choose the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center for a bone density scan?
- To schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
Before Your Exam
- You can print and fill out the Bone Density Questionnaire before arriving to speed the registration process.
- Please wear comfortable clothing with no metal or zippers to the exam. You may be asked to change clothes prior to the exam if necessary.
- No nuclear medicine scans or contrast studies should be done one week prior to this exam.
- Please notify us if you have had back surgery or a hip replacement using metal clips.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
During Your Exam
- Once in the exam room, the technologist will explain your exam and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to lie flat on your back with your arms at your side.
- We will be measuring the mineral content of your bones.
- The scan will be done with a low energy X-ray beam that produces very little radiation.
- The scan will be painless and will take approximately 15 minutes.
After Your Exam
- There are no post-exam instructions.
- Your study will be reviewed by an imaging physician specialist and the results sent to your physician. Your physician will discuss these results with you and explain what they mean in relation to your health.
- To request a copy of your report, call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.