Fistulagram - Abdominal
Your doctor has recommended you for a fistulagram. A gastrointestinal fistula is an abnormal communication between a part of the gastrointestional tract and the skin or another portion of the GI tract. A fistulagram is performed to demonstrate this communication.
Our team of experts with extensive experience with fistulagrams is led by Richard J. Sukov, MD.
Before Arriving for Your Procedure
- It is important that you not eat or drink anything four hours before your exam. Small sips of water may be taken along with your medications.
- Please also inform us of any allergies that you may have, especially to contrast materials.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- We want to make any time you have to wait as pleasant as possible. Please consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass any time you have to wait.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- The technologist and physician will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have before your exam.
- You probably will be asked to change into a gown.
During Your Procedure
- A Radiologist will gently inject a small amount of contrast through the small opening on your skin surface while watching via fluoroscopy, which is a form of X-ray. Then he or she will take X-rays as indicated.
- A fistulagram usually takes about 30 minutes.
After Your Procedure
- You are free to drive, eat and drink as usual.
- To request copies of your pictures on a PC- and Mac-compatible CD, or a copy of your report, call 310-423-8000, option2, or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.