Nuclear Medicine Preparation
If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- (exam time: 1½ to 2½ hours with the possibility of delayed imaging from three hours and up to 24 hours after the start of the exam)
- Do not eat or drink anything four hours before the exam.
- Do not eat or drink for eight hours before the exam.
- No preparation required
- (visit time about four to six hours)
- Do not eat or drink 12 hours before your exam.
Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
(approx. visit time: 3½ hours)
You can print and fill out the PET or PET brain questionnaire on our Pre-Registration Questionnaire page, depending on your study, to speed the registration process.
Forty-eight hours before exam:
- Do not do any strenuous exercise or deep tissue massage
Twelve hours before exam:
- Stay on a very low-carbohydrate, no-sugar diet (see below).
- Do not have gum or mints, and do not consume caffeine including decaf products. Note: Decaffeinated products contain caffeine.
Six hours before:
- Do not eat or drink anything except water.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- If you are diabetic, ask your doctor about diet and medication.
- (exam time: three hours; total of three visits over two days)
- Note: There are two types of PET exams, FDG PET and rubidium PET (also known as myocardial perfusion PET). Rubidium PET requires a different preparation than the one listed below. If you are not sure which PET exam you are having, please call our scheduling department at 310-423-8000 (option 1).
- FDG PET scans require careful preparation, so please follow instructions carefully.
- (Diabetics should discuss the preparations with their doctor.)
- 24 hours before your appointment:
- Do not do any strenuous exercise or deep tissue massage.
- Refrain from consuming any caffeine, including any decaffeinated products.
- 12 hours before your appointment:
- Stay on a no-carbohydrate diet. (See below for a guide on what to eat.)
- Do NOT engage in any strenuous exercise.
- Do NOT chew gum.
- Avoid mints.
- Six hours before your appointment:
- Do NOT eat or drink anything, with the exception of water.
- Take any prescribed medications as usual.
- If you are diabetic, please consult your doctor for questions regarding diet and medication.
No-carbohydrate, no-sugar diet guide:
- All meats
- Hard cheeses
- Unsweetened peanut butter
- Oil, margarine, butter
- Diet soda (be careful to avoid caffeinated and decaffeinated sodas)
- Nonstarchy vegetables (such as broccoli, spinach, green beans)
Foods not allowed:
- Dry beans
- Fruit and fruit juices
- Jams and jellies
- Sugar and candy
- Starchy vegetables (such as peas, corn, potatoes)
- Milk (including nondairy milk)
- Coffee or tea
- (visit time about 1½ -2½ hours)
- Drink two 8-ounce glasses of fluids one to two hours before your exam. You may use the restroom as needed.
Renal Scan with Captopril
- (exam time: 2½ hours; visit time about three hours)
- Ask your doctor about going off ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonist 48 hours before your exam.
- Drink two eight-ounce glasses of fluids one to two hours before your exam.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.