Pulmonary Rehabilitation Treatments and Care
The Cedars-Sinai Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is a 6-to-9 week, individually tailored program to help you adapt to new ways of living. Our pulmonary rehabilitation program helps improve the quality of life for people with lung disease.. We regularly care for people with COPD who are having difficulty breathing. We help you more effectively manage the limitations of your pulmonary disease helping you have a safe experience while becoming stronger and more confident.
What Health Conditions Do We Support?
We care for people with:
- Asthma, swelling and inflammation in your airways that makes it hard to breathe
- Bronchiectasis, when the walls of your airways become abnormally thick
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), conditions such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis that get worse over time
- Cystic fibrosis, a condition passed down in families that causes abnormally thick mucus to form in the lungs and other areas of the body
- Pulmonary fibrosis, when lung tissue becomes scarred and stiff
- Pulmonary sarcoidosis, a rare disease that causes clumps of cells to form in the lungs
- Primary pulmonary hypertension, high blood pressure in the blood vessels within your lungs
What are the Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
You will experience more independence and improved quality of life. Our participants:
- Exercise more often, more intensely and for longer periods of time
- Experience fewer urgent care and emergency room visits
- Have fewer hospital admissions
- Have an increased ability to cope with symptoms
Is Pulmonary Rehabilitation Right for Me?
Insurance typically covers pulmonary rehabilitation. You may be eligible to participate if you are:
- Breathless regularly or have other symptoms affecting your quality of life
- Having difficulty recovering from a recent disease flare-up or sudden illness
- Afraid of exercising on your own
- On oxygen therapy and need help determining a safe level of physical activity
- Waiting for or recovering from a lung transplant
Additional Services to Help You Stay Healthy
We offer extra services to maximize your wellbeing, including:
- Maintenance program: You have the option to continue exercising with us after you complete your pulmonary rehabilitation program therapy. You’ll work with the same team of rehabilitation specialists to keep getting stronger. Find out more about our pulmonary rehabilitation maintenance program.
- Support group: You have the option to continue attending support group meetings. These sessions will allow you to share your experiences with other patients who are also adapting to lifestyle changes and coping with lung conditions. Meetings are every two weeks and are led by a medical social worker.
- Smoking cessation: If you smoke cigarettes, our smoking cessation program can help you quit the habit. This program is either fully covered by your insurance or available to you at no cost as a Cedars-Sinai patient. Learn about how you can stop smoking for good.