Shoulder Surgery and Treatment
Whether you're a grandparent, an athlete at the top of your game or both, we offer the shoulder care you need to live life on your terms. From physical therapy to shoulder replacement surgery and everything in between, we're focused on helping you manage pain and recover fast.
Our Approach to Shoulder Pain
When you injure your shoulder, prompt treatment is key. The earlier our surgeons can see and assess your injury, the more likely you are to achieve a positive result.
We can often resolve your shoulder condition without surgery. But when surgery is the best route to recovery, we use leading-edge techniques and the latest technology to provide the best results.
Our care also features:
- Shoulder expertise: Our shoulder specialists use their skill and knowledge to help you experience less pain and restore your full range of motion. This expertise comes from completing the highest level of training in shoulder and elbow surgery.
- Team-based care: Our shoulder specialists meet regularly with our entire orthopaedic team. During these meetings, our experts discuss patient cases, sharing their expertise to provide better care and outcomes.
- Research and clinical trials: Our doctors take part in research that is transforming shoulder treatment. You may have access to new implants, robotics and techniques before they are available elsewhere.
- Treatment tailored to you: We may use MRI technology to check the extent of your shoulder problem. Once you receive an accurate diagnosis, we discuss your treatment options. Together, we'll make decisions about your care that consider your whole health.
- The latest technology: Our doctors are actively involved in creating new devices and implants to improve surgery success rates. Through our clinical research program, you may have access to this innovative technology as part of your care.
- Convenient locations: We perform shoulder procedures in locations throughout Los Angeles. Our locations include the Pavilion, with state-of-the-art operating rooms and equipment. See our orthopaedic locations.
Your lifestyle, work, hobbies and past treatments matter when designing your treatment plan. Most times, we can take a more conservative approach to your care. Your doctor may prescribe:
- Rest and modification to your activities
- Physical therapy and shoulder exercises
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Numbing or steroid injections, such as cortisone shots
When nonsurgical methods aren't enough, surgery may be the best way to speed your recovery. Our surgeons are experienced in a wide range of procedures that treat pain, stabilize the shoulder and restore function. We also provide emergency care for orthopaedic trauma.
We offer minimally invasive surgeries for shoulder arthritis, including arthroscopic debridements and capsular releases. During these surgeries, doctors use small incisions and tiny instruments to clean up damaged tissue. They also release the tissues to help the shoulder move better.
Rotator Cuff Repairs
We offer several options to heal rotator cuff tears. We will discuss the best option for you based on your injury, anatomy and goals.
Many of our surgeons are skilled in the full range of rotator cuff repair treatments. We also offer newer procedures for more complicated or serious tears, including:
- Superior capsular reconstruction: This novel procedure uses dermal (skin) tissue to reconstruct the shoulder.
- Tendon transfers: This newer procedure is a good option for people who have jobs that rely on their arms and shoulders, including laborers and construction workers. Surgeons use a tendon from another part of the body to fix the rotator cuff.
Shoulder Replacement Surgeries
Your shoulder includes the top of your upper arm bone (humerus) and the socket of your shoulder blade (scapula). The top of the humerus is shaped like a ball and fits into the socket.
Arthritis, severe fractures and past shoulder injuries can cause shoulder pain and disability. Shoulder joint replacement surgery can relieve your pain and restore your function. We perform:
- Anatomic total shoulder replacement
- Reverse total shoulder replacement
Our surgeons help you decide which replacement procedure is best for your condition and goals. We are skilled at selecting the right size implant (a metal ball attached to a stem and sometimes a plastic socket) for your anatomy. We also use the least invasive methods possible to help you recover faster and lower your risk of complications.