CURRENTLY AT CAPACITY
Applications for Spring 2021 have now closed. Details on future rotations will be posted on the website, once we have the information available.
The Pre-Medical Student Volunteer Program, under the leadership of Jason Cohen, MD, FACS, is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to go on to medical school.
What to Expect
Due to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) global pandemic, we have created a virtual platform for our Pre-Med Volunteer Program. During the 8–10 week program, volunteers will attend two (2) virtual, weekly meetings Mondays and Wednesdays from 4–5:30 p.m. We invite speakers from all over the country to speak to the volunteers and share their experiences. Volunteers will also be given access to our Telehealth system, where they will be able to shadow patient visits with their assigned mentor from the safety of their own home. Finally, volunteers will be able to attend one (1) in-person session in our Simulation Center to get hands-on experience with some of the equipment. The spring 2021 rotation will begin in February.
Pre-Med Student program volunteers must be at least 18 years old and you will need to:
- Complete at least 1 semester of college
- Show a minimum of 3.5 GPA
- Submit an online application
- Attend general volunteer orientation
- Receive initial and annual health evaluations
- Adhere to the program's dress code
- Must reside close enough to Cedars-Sinai to attend the in-person session at our Women's Guild Simulation Center for Advanced Clinical Skills
To participate in the volunteer program, you must:
- Attend two (2) virtual, weekly meetings Mondays and Wednesdays from 4–5:30 p.m.
- Schedule time with your physician-mentor according to their individual schedule, so you can shadow them
- Send e-journals to the medical adviser after each shadowing experience
- Attend one (1) session at our Women's Guild Simulation Center for Advanced Clinical Skills
How to Apply
Click on the “Apply Now” link at the top of this page. You will be redirected to complete the online application. Applications will close once we reach 100 applicants (around two weeks).
The Application Process
All applicants must apply online. Applications will be screened for GPA, distance and availability requirements. Selected applicants will be invited for a virtual interview. Applicants then selected to participate in the program will be notified 2 weeks prior to the start of the rotation.
Those who are not selected to interview for the program may be offered other volunteer opportunities in a clinical area in the medical center.
Priority will be given to applicants who have not already shadowed a physician.